I grew up in a large family, and I am the youngest of 6 kids. My whole family as well as my extended family are “Louisville Originals”. It was great growing up in a large family even though being the youngest meant I had to “argue my case” a lot harder, which certainly prepared me well for becoming a lawyer.
My maternal grandfather, Vince Hargadon, was a lawyer, State Senator, and later in his career was Public Administrator for Jefferson County. At one time, he had the largest personal injury verdict in the State. His brother and law partner, Harry Hargadon Sr., was a former Judge here in Jefferson County. My paternal grandfather was in the restaurant and bar business. Prior to becoming a Judge, my career involved a mixture of both.
My father, Bob Haner Sr., was a bit of a local sports hero, who played football and baseball. He attended St. X, and went away to Villanova University on a football scholarship. After college, he was recruited to play pro football with the Washington Redskins. He has his own bubble gum card! He was a commercial independent insurance agent, and also co-owner of the Mazzoni's restaurant located at Bowman Field. Mazzoni's was a family business of my uncle's, and when they expanded, my Dad got involved from an investment standpoint – he had six kids to put through school! My sister, Nancy Grantz, owner of Nancy’s Bagel Grounds currently carries on the restaurant tradition of my family.
My mother worked at home. She raised 6 kids who have all been successful in their own way. She created the drive and energy to achieve. She made me believe that I could do anything as long as I put the effort into it. She believed in hard work and a good education. If it were not for her, I would not be who I am today, a Judge of the Jefferson District Court.
- Life long “Louisvillian”
- Graduate of St. Agnes grade school and St. X high school
- Attended Villanova University, my father's alma mater. I attended Villanova University on an athletic scholarship for diving. The swimming and diving team competed in the highly competitive Big East Conference.
- Attended the University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law
- Criminal & Civil Litigator for 20 years with career history of 16 jury trials in Kentucky and Indiana state and federal courts
- Licensed to practice law in Kentucky and Indiana – took and passed both state bar exams in 1994
- Owner, financier and manager of my own law firm since 2008
- Member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, an elite organization of lawyers who have settled or received verdicts of 1 million dollars or more. In my career, I have had two (2) settlements which have exceeded 1 million dollars, both cases which were handled exclusively by myself.
- Part-owner in the development known as Theater Square Marketplace, the first major investment and development on historic 4th Street in the Theater district in decades.
- Long time supporter of legal charitable organizations such as CASA and Legal Aid. Named a “Hero for Justice” for Legal Aid in recognition of my level of financial support for this organization
- Board Member of the SLS Pride Foundation which raises money for other charitable organizations.
- Recognized by Kentucky Lawyer Referral Service in 2012 as one of five top referral fee generators for the Service
- Former Board member of Louisville Theatrical Association
- Former Board member of Alliance Francaise de Louisville
Practitioner of bikram hot yoga for 9 years; travel; winter sports (snowboarding)